This home inspection helps identify the strengths and weaknesses throughout your home that relate to high wind storms, like a hurricane. If your home has construction features that help reduce losses in hurricanes your home may qualify for a discount on homeowners insurance.
The building codes change every few years to improve the safety, structure and save on repair and replacement of damaged property. Currently improvements of the following items enable the client to get credits on their homeowners insurance.
The wind mitigation inspection entails documenting these items:
- Roof to wall connection - clips, single wrap or double wrap depending on year the home was built
- Roof deck fasteners - 6d or 8d nail or any system of screws, nail adhesives or deck fastening system.
- Roof geometry - hip roof or gable (other). A hip roof is stronger than a gable roof in hurricane conditions.
- SWR - Secondary Water Resistance - self-adhering polymer modified bitumen to prevent water intrusion in the event of roof covering loss.
- Opening protection for windows and doors in the event of a hurricane. Many people use shutters, panels or plywood fastened to opening for protection.
- If your home qualifies you may submit the results your wind mitigation inspection to your insurer to obtain discounts on your insurance policy. In Florida, premium discounts for favorable wind mitigation features are mandated by State law and can save you 45% of your original homeowners policy's premium.
If your home qualifies you may submit the results of your wind mitigation inspection to your insurer to obtain discounts on your insurance policy.
Start Saving! Call us at 772.834.3956 to book your inspection.